Updates for the Academic Year
How it Works
Columbia Transportation has partnered with Public Safety and Via to provide on-demand transportation service as an alternative to walking alone at night. Using the Evening Shuttle app is the easiest and most effective way to get a ride, but if you cannot use the app, you can also call for a ride. Please follow the instructions below.
After logging in with your Columbia UNI and password, you must create an account using your name, Columbia University email, and phone number.
- Pick-Up location: Choose your pick-up location and tap "confirm my location." Your pick-up location must be within the coverage area to qualify for a free Evening Shuttle ride.
- Drop-Off location: Choose your drop-off location and tap "set my destination." Your pick-up location must be within the coverage area to qualify for a free Evening Shuttle ride.
- Confirm your trip: Based on trip details, you may be presented with both Evening Shuttle ETAs and other Columbia University shuttle bus routes.
- Accept* proposal: Select the free Columbia University Evening Shuttle proposal and tap "book this ride."
- Connect with the driver: If you have any issues finding your vehicle, you can call the driver directly from the app. The driver may also reach out directly to you to coordinate. In any case, your phone number will not be visible to the driver.
- When the car arrives, verify the vehicle model, plate number, and driver photo.
- Show your Columbia ID to the driver before boarding the vehicle. This is to ensure the safety of both the driver and the other passenger(s) in the car.
*NOTE: Ride options will only appear in the app during operating hours and for rides within the coverage area.
Requesting a Ride Without a Smartphone
Using the Evening Shuttle app is the fastest way to get a ride. However, if you don't have a smartphone, you can call Via at 646-692-0576. A dispatcher will respond as quickly as possible, but due to call volume, it may take a few minutes to receive a response. The dispatcher will ask you for your location and destination. The dispatcher will give you an estimated time of arrival, vehicle information, license plate number, and driver information.
Need help or have questions?
- Please read through the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before calling.
- During Business hours: Contact Columbia Transportation at 212-854-3382 or email [email protected].
- During Service/After hours:
Your reports and personal information that you share with Via may also be disclosed to Columbia University, including to assist in reviewing safety-related incidents.
Regulations & Policies
The Evening Shuttle will only perform pick-ups and drop-offs within the coverage area. There are also regulations and etiquette that pertain to riding the Evening Shuttle. Riders agree to these policies when they request a ride. The University and its partner Via can deny a ride to anyone who does not honor these policies.